In 2006 while at my daughter’s Ear, Nose and Throat specialist, I asked the doc to take a look down my throat because it seemed to be burning on a regular basis. Before he even took a look he said, “Do you clear your throat often? Do you wake up with a sour taste or burning sensation in your throat? After eating, do you have a “full” feeling in your chest or throat?”
Yes. Yes. Yes. Double yes.
“Sounds like Acid Reflux.”
Thus began my journey on the road of discovery to find natural and medicinal cures for acid reflux. I’ve tried both types of products. I’ve discovered how to change my eating habits. I’ve learned what works for others and what works for me. And I’m happy to say that I I cleared my reflux in just a few months.
In a nutshell, here’s what I did:
- Changed my diet. Indeed, I cut out the three culprits of coffee, chocolate, alcohol (which for me was an occasional glass of wine).
- I began watching what I ate to see what triggered the problem.
- I filled the prescription for aciphex. Although I realized that reflux was caused by an underlying symptom, I also recognized that something needed to be done immediately because my throat was so incredibly red (the doctor told me I had the worse-looking espophagus he’d EVER seen.) I only took the aciphex for a VERY, VERY short time.
- I bought some aloe juice.
- I found this chart and studied it to learn how to make more diet more alkaline than acid.
Let me stop right here and tell you – THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM DOING TODAY . Although my diet is different today, I’ve found that if I maintain a more alkaline diet than acidic, I can still enjoy my 1 cup of coffee in the morning, my little sliver of dark chocolate, and even my wine, with little problem.
I’ve also learned that millions of people suffer from acid reflux. Many of my friends have been diagnosed. And, if not under control, acid reflux can lead to Barrett’s Esophagus, or cancer.
I’ve also discovered that there’s a lot of information out there on acid reflux, so I wanted to compile it all on one site as a helpful resource for you. I also share personal reviews on products I use and have provided links so you can try them out for yourself. Please feel free to comment on which products you’ve found useful (or not) and what remedies work for you. This way, I can keep the site updated with information from our community.
I hope you enjoy the site and all the best on your journey,
About Lesley Shackelford Bateman, MPA, APR
Lesley is the founder and owner of the Reflux Digest World. She received her Bachelors in Journal-ism/Public Relations from the University of Florida and her Masters in Public Information with a focus on public and health policy from the University of South Florida. She currently resides in Florida with her husband and children.